Here I am again, hanging out with Butternut.
This Butternut Squash Eggplant Parmesan is a twist on a classic comfort food. Eggplant Parmesan is usually made with breaded eggplant, tomato sauce and cheese. For this recipe I swapped out the tomato sauce for a rich and creamy butternut sauce!
The butternut sauce is similar to what you see used in butternut squash mac and cheese which has risen in popularity as a healthy alternative to the classic. Have you tried it? It’s really delicious.
To make this Butternut Squash Eggplant Parmesan you will start off by roasting the squash and some garlic. To make the sauce blend the roasted squash and garlic with cream and parmesan cheese.
After pre-baking the eggplant for a few minutes on each side you will bread it and then the dish is ready to assemble!
Layer the eggplant, a thick coating of butternut sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese, repeat with all the eggplant slices. Then bake once more until the cheese is browned and sauce is bubbling 🙂
If you are looking for something unique to add to your Thanksgiving table this dish would be a good one! Or, as the days keep getting colder, it’s a great winter dinner idea.
Are you adding anything new to your Thanksgiving menu this year or are you planning on sticking with the classics?Print
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 8oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, sea salt and pepper
- Spread onto a large baking sheet in a single layer
- Wrap garlic cloves in aluminum foil, place on baking sheet
- Bake butternut squash and garlic for 50 minutes, cool until cool enough to handle
- In food processor, process butternut squash, garlic, heavy cream and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese until smooth, set aside
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F
- Lay eggplant slices on a baking sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes, 5 minutes on each side
- Whisk together eggs
- Combine bread crumbs and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, pour onto a plate
- Dip each slice of eggplant in the egg and then coat with bread crumb mixture
- In a baking dish Layer 1 slice of eggplant, thick coating of butternut squash sauce and 1 slice of mozzarella cheese, repeat with all the eggplant slices
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Serve hot