It’s Friday again! Time flies when you’re having fun!
I posted a picture of this Green Curry Tofu dish on Instagram a few weeks back and a few of you commented asking for the recipe! Coming up with this post was a great excuse to make it again! It’s been my favorite winter dish of the year so far 🙂
I mentioned to you when I posted this BBQ Tofu Rice Bowls recipe that is is important to press your tofu before baking it. The drier the tofu the better it will crisp up when you bake it. The crispier texture not only tastes better than if it is still soft, but also helps it hold up much better in the dish. You can bake your tofu a day ahead of making this dish if you would like, just be sure to cool it completely and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
The tofu and the coconut sauce are seasoned with green curry paste. It is a bit spicy, so depending on your taste you can increase or decrease the amount you use.
Sauté the mushrooms, red pepper, onion and Chinese eggplant in coconut oil.
Whisk together the coconut milk, lime juice, green curry and ginger and add it to the sautéd vegetables.
Whisk together corn starch and cold water. Bring the coconut mixture to a boil, add the corn starch mixture and stir. Lower the heat so the mixture reaches a low simmer, the corn starch will help it to thicken.
Stir in the tofu, continue to simmer. Serve hot, over rice or with a side of rice. Garnish with cilantro and fresh lime juice if desired.Print
- 2 12oz blocks extra firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp green curry paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Chinese eggplant, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 13.5oz cans coconut milk
- 1.5 tsp green curry paste
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- cilantro, to taste, if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Cut pressed tofu into 1 inch cubes
- Toss tofu with coconut oil, green curry paste, sea salt and black pepper
- Spread tofu onto a greased baking sheet
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping tofu once at the 20 minute mark
- Remove from oven, cool
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet
- Once it’s reached medium heat, add onions, sauté 2-3 minutes
- Add peppers, eggplant and mushrooms, sauté 3-5 more minutes, do not over cook vegetables
- Meanwhile, whisk together coconut milk, lime juice and green curry paste and ginger
- Once vegetables are cooked, add the coconut milk mixture and palm sugar to the pan, bring to a boil
- While pan is coming to a boil, whisk together cold water and corn starch
- Once pan reaches a boil, mix in the corn starch mixture, reduce the heat to low and simmer until curry has thickened
- Mix in tofu
- Serve over rice or with a side of rice
- Garnish with more lime juice and cilantro if desired
Have a great weekend!