To gather inspiration for recipes and when I am feeling stuck I will often go walk around the grocery store until an idea comes to me. My favorite place to do this is at Trader Joe’s in the early morning, like as soon as they open. Some mornings I will go from the gym to Trader Joe’s at 8am before heading off to work. I usually buy myself a kombucha, and eat whatever weird food they have on sample at 8am (always something completely inappropriate for 8am) and look at all the cool new stuff they have – somehow they have new things every time I go even though I am there at least twice if not 3 times a week…
This burger recipe was not born that way. It was born at Trader Joe’s, but under completely different circumstances. It was 7:15pm on a Thursday and I went there starving after an evening Body Pump class (I’m pumping again! But more on that another day 🙂 ) in pursuit of the ingredients for a reuben sandwich (more on reuben’s and my new obsession with them another day as well, hehe). The place was completely mobbed and like I mentioned I was starving… the line wrapped all the way around the store, so for 20 minutes I did my shopping from line. Anyone who has done this half in line/half shopping routine knows it ends with you at the checkout with a basket full of tons of things you never intended on purchasing and probably don’t need. I ended up with a bunch of random things I never buy, however 2 of my random purchases, both of the bread variety, turned into 2 blog recipes so I would say that was a win!
I picked up these cute little slider buns and thus was born these Turkey Mango Jalapeño Sliders 🙂 They are your classic turkey burger all jazzed up for summer with a kick of heat from the jalapeños that is nicely balanced by the sweetness of the mango.
To make the burger meat you will first add mango, jalapeño, lime juice and sea salt to your food processor and process until smooth. Next mix that mixture into the meat with bread crumbs, an egg and green onions.
Form meat into slider patties. Heat your grill to high heat, cook patties until browned on both sides and completes cooked through. Top with cheese of your choice (I chose swiss) if desired during the last minute or 2 of cooking. You can also toast the buns at the same time if you have a top shelf on your grill.
To assemble, place each slider patty on the bottom half of the bun, I recommend topping it with this classic guacamole. But you may add any condiments you like!Print
- 1/2 cup jalapeños, chopped with most of the seeds removed
- 1 ripe mango, skin and pit removed
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 12 slider buns
- 6 slices cheese
- 1 cup guacamole
- Add jalapeños, mango, lime juice and sea salt to the bowl of your food processor
- Process on high until smooth
- Add turkey to a large mixing bowl
- Pour mango jalapeño mixture over turkey meat, mix to combine
- Mix in the egg, bread crumbs and green onions
- Form burgers into small, slider sized patties
- Heat grill to high heat (400-450 degrees)
- Place slider patties on grill, cook 4-5 minutes on each side
- Add 1/2 slice cheese to each slider if desired
- Remove sliders from grill once cheese has melted and sliders are cooked through
- Place one slider patty on bottom of slider bun**
- Top with guacamole
- Place slider bun top on top of guacamole
*Grill buns on top shelf of grill until golden brown if desired
Pin it for later: