Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend and it included something as sweet as these Maple Glazed Donuts!
Back at the beginning of the year I posted about my 2016 cooking goals. Well, it is already May (can you believe it?!), but I finally got around to checking one off my goals off my list this weekend – Baked Donuts!
We got a donut pan as a wedding gift and we also got a bottle of REAL New Hampshire Maple Syrup from Fuller’s Sugarhouse! My friend Heather who currently resides in New Hampshire gave us the maple syrup. If you have never had real maple syrup you are really missing out on a treat. It is about 1000 times better than the fake stuff. When Heather and I were growing up, I would go with her and her family to her lake house in New Hampshire and sometimes we would stop at a real maple syrup farm. They would literally tap the trees right in front of us and give us a cup of maple syrup to drink – let me tell you it doesn’t get much better than that! So, while part of me wants to warm up this bottle and sip it slowly, I decided to control myself and add some to this donut recipe!
There is maple syrup in the donuts as well as the frosting!
Like nearly all sweets, for me, donuts are all about the frosting! The best part about baked donuts, I discovered, is that the frosting seeps through the tiny air holes making the donuts denser and moister. Depending on your relationship with frosting you may need to frost these twice… err, if you are like me, 3 times 🙂
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 6 tbs sprinkles
- 1 part maple syrup
- 4 parts confectioners sugar
- 1 part milk or cream
- pinch of cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together oil, milk, sugar, maple syrup and egg, set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together white and wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt
- Fold dry ingredients into wet until combined
- Oil and flour donut pan
- Fill each donut 3/4 of the way full
- Bake for 6-8 minutes
- Cool completely before frosting
- Frost as desired and sprinkle each donut with 1 tbs sprinkles
- In a small bowl add confectioners sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon
- Slowly whisk in milk or cream a little bit at a time until desired consistency is reached