We are slowly digging out here and I am excited to be getting out of the house this morning! As I mentioned yesterday Jonas provided me with many, many hours to experiment in the kitchen. Here is the first!
On Friday night I was craving broccoli cheddar soup in a bread bowl – you know like Panera style, basically heaven. I had cheddar and broccoli and a spaghetti squash on hand… I figured I could emulate the feeling of eating out of a bread bowl by eating out of a squash bowl – right?
Roasting the squash with olive oil, sea salt and pepper before stuffing it helps to bring out the flavor.
Roast broccoli, onion and garlic. Brown ground turkey in a frying pan. Mix with cheese sauce.
Stuff and bake!
It tasted like a cross between macaroni and cheese and a shepherds pie, can’t go wrong with that! The squash really absorbed the cheese sauce and my bread bowl craving came close to being satisfied. It was just the comfort food I was craving as we watched the first few inches of snow fall!
I added ground turkey for some protein, but you could leave it out or just as easily use ground beef, ground chicken or even tofu!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 3 cups broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey meat
- Cheese Sauce
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
- Cut spaghetti squash in half the long way, remove seeds
- Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper
- Bake for 40 mins
- Toss broccoli, onions and garlic with olive oil, sea salt and pepper
- Spread onto baking sheet and bake for 30 mins, tossing once after 15 mins
- While the vegetables are baking fry the turkey and make cheese sauce
- In a small frying pan, brown the turkey meat over medium heat, set aside
- Over medium heat, melt butter, whisk in flour until it thickens
- Slowly add the whole milk until butter and flour mixture combines
- Melt in the cheddar cheese, 1 ounce at a time
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste
- Remove vegetables from oven
- In a large bowl combine the roasted vegetables and browned turkey
- Mix in cheese sauce
- Remove squash from oven
- Fill each side with 1/2 the cheese mixture
- Bake another 20 mins
- Serve by slicing the squash or scooping into a bowl