I love to make homemade treats for Layla! She’s so easy to please, hehe. She’s loving these Whole Wheat Blueberry Treats. According to The American Kennel Club, blueberries are a great treat for dogs! Just as we benefit from the fiber and antioxidants so do our four legged friends 🙂
They are really simple to make with only 4 ingredients – whole wheat flour, coconut oil, eggs and blueberries! Melt the coconut oil, mix with the flour, add in the eggs 1 at a time, fold in the blueberries and they are ready to roll, cut and bake!
The dough can get a little sticky so make sure you flour your working surface and rolling pin 🙂 You can cut them into any shape, but I love these little dog bone cookie cutters, you can find them here!
If your pup is like Layla they may not last long, hehe. But, if you are looking to prolong the freshness store them in an airtight container or better yet keep them in the freezer!
Getting Layla to pose for a treat while I take a photo reminds me why I prefer my photography subjects to be inanimate, hehe!
The photo above took lots of outtakes….
And some treat snatchings!
I hope your pups enjoy them just as much as Layla!Print
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup blueberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Put coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave 30 seconds until melted
- Add 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, mix until fully combined
- Add eggs 1 at a time
- Fold in blueberries
- Using your hands, form dough into a ball
- Roll out dough on a floured surface, sprinkling dough with flour if it is sticking to rolling pin
- Cut treats into shapes using cookie cutters
- Place treats on on an oiled baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Cool before giving to your pup!
- **Store in an air tight container up to 5 days or freeze for extended freshness
Pin It For Later:
Check out my other dog friendly recipes!
Love to travel with your dog? Check out my post on Why You Should Bring Your Dog to Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park.