Hi! I hope you are having a great week so far! I had an extra fun weekend pretending I was in college again at my 5 year college reunion! I am just feeling back in the swing of things for the week after staying up way too late having “Campus Dance Parties” and “Wawa’ing” just like in the good ol’ college days (*sigh*).
(My favorite Laf Gals with the Leopard)
Remember all that rain we had in May? I was hating it at the time, mainly because cleaning up after a wet, muddy puppy is frustrating! BUT, in early May we planted a bunch of herbs out on our deck and they are growing out of control – I have to thank the rain for that because I do not have a green thumb 🙂 Rosemary was one of the herbs we planted and it is growing strong!
Biscotti are one of those cookies that seemingly can take on any flavor profile and you often see savory flavor combos. I have been wanting to make a lemon-rosemary savory dessert and biscotti is the first thing that came to mind!
The reason they are eggless, I have to admit, is due to forgetfulness and laziness. I forgot to buy eggs at the store and I was too lazy to go back. During much internal debate about whether I would go back to the store a lightbulb went off – flax meal! I bought this a while back, you may remember when I used it in these oatmeal cookies. In place of the 2 eggs I was planning to put in these biscotti I used 2 tablespoons of flax meal and 6 tablespoons to water. I mixed the 2 together and let it sit for 10 minutes, it formed a gel-like consistency that I was able to use in place of the eggs. Egg allergies are actually more common than you may think, so you never know when you are going to need a good eggless recipe.
I loved this flavor combo! The rosemary flavor is not over powering, but it cuts the strong lemon flavor and moves the biscotti into that sweet, but savory dessert category. They are great on their own, but I wanted to take them 1 step farther by dipping them in some white chocolate, the perfect compliment!
For the Biscotti
- 6 tbs butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- *2 tbs flax meal
- *6 tbs water
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the White Chocolate Coating
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with blade attachment, cream butter and sugar on high until fluffy.
- While butter and sugar cream, in a small bowl add flax meal and water, let sit 10 minutes until gel-like consistency forms *This is the egg substitute – you may use 2 eggs instead*
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine lemon zest and juice, rosemary and sea salt
- In a larger bowl mix together flour, baking soda and baking powder
- Once butter and sugar are creamed and the flax meal mixture is set, add it to the mixer
- Add in the lemon rosemary mixture
- Slowly add the flour mixture, dough should form into a ball
- On a greased baking sheet, spread dough into a 3/4-inch thick square
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven, (leave oven on) let cool until you are able to handle it easily
- Slice into 1-inch bars (depending on the size of your square you might also need to cut them in half)
- Lay bars back on the baking sheet on their sides and bake for another 12-15 minutes, until dry
- Once cool, melt white chocolate chips with coconut oil
- Dip the end of each biscotti in the white chocolate, allow to dry