If you are an adventurous pizza eater you need to make this RIGHT NOW. It is my favorite thing I have eaten in a while and will be making another appearance in my life very soon. I love fruit on my salad, in my wrap and on my pizza. It is probably just my raging sweet tooth looking for any opportunity to be satisfied. When in a group ordering pizza I am always the one pushing for the Hawaiian pizza and making side eyes at the person that says “just cheese please”… sorry if you are a “cheese only” pizza person, we probably won’t be friends… just kidding! kinda…
I totally underestimated the figs. When I was dreaming up this pizza I was focussed on the blackberries, but the figs totally stole the show! They are seriously delicious and high in fiber! I am not trying to claim this is a super healthy recipe, but as pizzas go it is definitely amongst the best for you.
Everything you will need for the pizza is pictured above, pita, figs, blackberries, onion, rosemary ricotta, goat cheese, honey- balsamic reduction and sweet thai basil. The honey-balsamic reduction (see recipe) ties the savory elements of the cheeses and the onions in with the figs and blackberries. My favorite flavor combo is the fig and rosemary ricotta, but the blackberry honey-balsamic combo is a close second and if you can get that all in one bite you are in for a real treat!
Because of the moisture in the blackberries and the ricotta I think a pita base works best. It gets crispier than your average pizza crust and with all the soft toppings adds a nice crunch to each bite!
Top your pita pizzas with everything, but the honey-balsamic reduction before baking. Right before serving sprinkle with the reduction.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 pitas
- 1 cup rosemary ricotta
- 8–10 black mission dried figs, halved
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 2oz goat cheese
- handful sweet basil
- In a small sauté pan, heat balsamic vinegar and honey over low heat
- Stir occasionally until mixture reduces by 1/2
- Pour reduction into a small bowl, set aside, do not wash pan
- Mix together ricotta, rosemary, sea salt and black pepper.
- Set aside
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add olive oil to the pan where you made the reduction
- Heat over medium heat
- Add onions
- Sauté 2-3 minutes, onions should not be completely cooked
- Divide rosemary ricotta between pitas, spread in an even layer on each
- Top with figs, blackberries, onions, goat cheese and a sprinkle of basil
- Put pitas on a baking sheet and into oven
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until goat cheese starts to brown, careful pita does not burn
- Sprinkle each pita with balsamic-honey reduction before serving