The weekend is here again! Woooo! One of my old roommates is coming to visit and I am so looking forward to catching up with her! Some yummy food and drinks are in our future as well as hopefully a relaxed day of river tubing tomorrow! And a little eating/running activity on Sunday AM 🙂 Tune in next week for more details on that, hehe.
Can you guys believe we are approaching the end of July already?! This whole summer season I have been completely thrown off on what month it is. For me, August has always marked the end of summer. Kids head back to school at the end of the month and people start pushing leaves and halloween on you. But here is a little PSA for you: summer isn’t actually over until the end of SEPTEMBER, so don’t let those school buses fool you! 😉
August also marks peach season. This may seem weird to you but my favorite way to eat a peach is grilled. I know, I know, back to that sweet and savory thing again… But actually, they are so good drizzled in olive oil, salt and pepper and thrown on the grill. Grilling them brings out and enhances their sweetness, but also helps them keep their firmness. It is the best of both worlds!
I decided to take their deliciousness up another notch by topping them with a honey ricotta filling and believe me I don’t regret that decision. Seriously, so good!
To the ricotta cheese I added olive oil, salt, pepper, honey, apple cider vinegar and sautéed shallots and garlic. The sweetness of the honey marries the cheese filling with the peaches juicy goodness.
Once your grilled peaches cool for about 10 minutes you top them with the cheese filling, drizzle with honey and they are ready for eating!
- 4–5 peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp honey
- Fire up the grill and heat to 400 degrees
- In a gallon sized plastic bag, toss the peaches with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper
- Place peaches on the grill inside side down, grill 3-4 minutes
- Flip peaches to skin side, grill 3-4 more minutes
- Flip once more for 2-3 more minutes
- Remove peaches from the grill and let cool 10-15 minutes
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat in a small sauté pan
- Add shallots and garlic to pan, sauté 3-4 minutes until browned
- In a small bowl mix together the ricotta cheese, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, 2 tsp hone, sautéed shallots and garlic
- When peaches are cool enough, put a large dollop of filling on each 1/2 peach
- Drizzle with honey
(Best paired with a fruity or peach flavored beverage 🙂 )
If you are planning on grilling this weekend you should totally give them a try!