Fall is finally in the air!
We got back from our trip to Italy a week ago, we left the last day of September when it still really felt and looked like summer around here. When we got back, the trees had started to change and some leaves had started falling, but up until yesterday it didn’t truly feel like fall temperatures.
As it tends to do in this area, it dropped from like 80 degrees on Sunday to cool, crisp 44 when I woke up yesterday… Luckily, I am feeling ready for Fall. The 3 things I love most about the season are the cool and comfortable running temperatures, fall apparel (I could wear a flannel shirt, vest and boots every day 🙂 and of course FALL FOODS!
Fall has all the best flavors! One of which is pumpkin 🙂
Starbuck’s “pumpkin spice latte” has turned into a total cliché for “basic” women (though men drink them too) in their 20s, who seemingly sip pumpkin spiced lattes, in their preppy fall outfits (cough, cough), while instagramming (yes that is a verb). I’d just like to let it be known that I’ve never had one.
Though I refuse to give in to the craze, I will agree that the flavor combo is spot-on. Thus was born these muffins!
Trader Joe’s Instant Coffee Packets puts the “latte” in the muffin. The packets are a mixture of coffee, sugar and dried creamer giving the muffins a subtle creamy coffee flavor.
And the coffee crunch topping gives them an extra kick!
Add them to your fall morning routine!Print
- 1/2 cup coconut butter*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 can 15oz pureed pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups white all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 packets Trader Joe’s Instant Coffee
- 2 tbsp coconut butter, melted*
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 packet Trader Joe’s Instant Coffee
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with blade attachment, cream together coconut butter, brown and white sugar, about 2 minutes until fluffy
- Add pumpkin and vanilla mix
- Add eggs 1 at a time
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice and instant coffee
- Slowly add dry mixture to mixing bowl, mix until just combined
- Line a 12-muffin tin with paper baking cups
- Spoon batter into each muffin tin, filling just below the rim
- Bake for 8 minutes
- While muffins are baking, mix together topping
- In a small bowl combine melted coconut butter, brown sugar and oats and instant coffee
- After 8 minutes, remove muffins from oven, reduce oven temperature to 350°F
- Top muffins evenly with topping
- Return muffins to oven for 16-18 minutes until set and topping slightly toasted
*can substitute unsalted butter
Pin It For Later: