Mexican Chopped Salad made with black beans, tomatoes, avocado, corn, red onion, jalapeño, cotija cheese and a tangy lime dressing!
Hello and Happy Thursday!
I’m coming at you today with a quick and easy summer salad recipe. But first a few things about corn on the cob. Have you guys ever eaten at Rosa Mexicano? It is a Mexican restaurant with locations in most major cities and there happens to be one in National Harbor, not too far from where we live. I dream about their corn-on-the-cob, it is Mexican street corn which is called Elotes and it is out of this world good. I’ve been trying to recreate it, but it just hasn’t been good enough to match up… one of these days.
Over the weekend in my continued attempt to recreate it I bought an outrageous amount of corn for 2 people… I just can’t resist when corn is basically free! It was something like 10 for $1 and I bought 7. So we had 5 ears of grilled corn left over after dinner and that is where the idea for this salad was born. That, and because it is 800 million degrees out, but you already knew that 😉
It’s simple – add black beans, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, and cotija cheese to a bowl. Slice the grilled corn off the cob and add it to the salad. Chop and add an avocado. Season with sea salt and pepper. For the dressing, combine olive oil, rice wine vinegar, lime juice and zest and honey. Pour over salad and toss.
Serve on it’s own, with your favorite protein or over lettuce.Print
- 1 15.5oz can black beans, drained and dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbs jalapeño, chopped
- 2 ears of grilled corn
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbs honey
- Add black beans, tomatoes, red onion, cotija cheese and jalapeño to a large bowl
- Slice the corn off the ears and add to bowl
- *Slice the avocado and add it to bowl
- Season with sea salt and pepper
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice/zest and honey
- Pour dressing over salad and toss
- Serve or store in air tight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days
- *If you are not going to serve it right away wait to add the avocado so it does not brown
Truth be told I made this salad last night for dinner, ate left overs for lunch and then just tossed up another one to have tonight with some salmon. So it is safe to say that I like it and you probably will too!