Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Soup is an easy, healthy winter soup and a great use of day old rotisserie chicken!
About once a month Walter and I take a trip to Costco to stock up on household staples. It’s really the only time we go shopping together so we kind of make an outing out of it. I know that sounds lame, but we have a good time perusing the aisles and picking out what we want to eat (in bulk, ha) that month. Part of our Costco tradition is picking up a rotisserie chicken to have that night for dinner.
The Costco rotisserie chicken is no ordinary rotisserie chicken. It is massive! It’s close to double the size of the chickens you can get from a traditional grocery store and at only $4.99 it’s the same price or better. The amount of meat on the chicken makes it a great bargain!
Those first few bites of a fresh rotisserie chicken are heavenly – it’s warm and juicy and seems to melt in your mouth. But, the two of us can’t eat the whole chicken in one sitting. And after the initial meal, the next day it has dried out and it’s not nearly as appetizing. With so much chicken left we don’t want to throw it out, so I make it into this Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Soup!
To make it, first boil the whole of what remains of the chicken in a mixture of water and chicken stalk to form the broth. A lot of the chicken with boil off, but you will have to cool it and remove all of the bones and any remaining skin leaving only the chicken meat in the broth. Then add chopped carrots and celery and bring the soup back to a boil until the vegetables are tender. Right before serving add peas and brown rice.Print
- 1/2 Rotisserie Chicken
- 6 cups chicken stalk
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked (optional)
- In a large pot, add the left over rotisserie chicken, 6 cups chicken stalk and 3 cups water
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes
- Remove from heat and cool
- Remove all the bones and any remaining chicken skin leaving just the chicken meat in the broth
- Add the carrots and celery, bring soup back to a boil for 5 minutes until the vegetables are cooked
- Remove from heat, add peas
- If desired, add some brown rice to the bottom of each bowl
- Pour soup into bowl, serve hot
Pin It For Later: