Good Morning! I hope your day is off to a great start! This must be a carrot kind of week because I’ve got another carrot recipe for you today 🙂
Before we dive into talking about these beauties I have some news about my next race! I will be doing my first triathlon in August! A friend of mine from growing up, Heather, and I signed up for the Ironman 70.3 Timberman race on August 21st. It is a 1/2 Ironman on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. We just signed up last week, so we are a LITTLE behind on our training! I got back in the pool a few weeks ago, but for me the toughest part will definitely be the bike! I’m planning on posting here and there about my pre-race training in the coming weeks!
(photo from my Instagram)
Training more, directly translates to snacking more and these Carrot Cake Energy Balls are perfect to grab before and/or after a training session. The best part is they really do taste like carrot cake!
They are simple to make right in the bowl of your food processor. The dates pack them with energy, the carrots with antioxidants and the oats with fiber. The dates and agave give them their sweet taste.
First process 8 dates on high until broken down into smaller pieces.
Next add the carrots, oats, coconut, agave, cinnamon and ground ginger. Process on high. If you like, add raisins and dark chocolate chips, pulse until they are chopped to your preferred consistency.
Dump the mixture out onto a cutting board and form into a ball using your hands. Pour a heaping pile of shredded coconut on the cutting board. Form mixture into golf ball sized balls and roll in coconut to coat.
Store in the refrigerator.
- 8 medjool dates
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tbs shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 3 tbs agave
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbs raisins (optional)
- 2 tbs dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Half and pit the dates
- Add dates to the bowl of a food processor
- Process on high until dates are broken down into small pieces
- Add oats, carrots, coconut, agave, cinnamon and ginger
- Process on high
- Add raisins and dark chocolate chips (optional), pulse until chopped to desired consistency
- Dump mixture onto cutting board and form into a ball using your hands
- Pour sweetened coconut onto cutting board (you will not use it all)
- Roll mixture into golf ball sized balls and roll in coconut to coat
- Store in refrigerator