TGIF! Have I got a treat for you! Since summer has kicked in to full gear I’m all about the frozen treats! (to be fair, I work for an ice cream shop, so this isn’t a summer only thing for me… but you get it…) These Chocolate PB Banana Cups are a perfectly poppable little treat for a hot summer day 🙂
Arguably the best way to eat a banana is with peanut butter and everything chocolate makes me smile 🙂 I used dark chocolate because I feel better about eating 3 of these in 1 sitting if the chocolate has some kind of health benefits. The darker the chocolate, the better it is for you, but don’t deprive yourself (it is Friday after all), if you hate dark chocolate these will work just as well with whatever you desire – even white chocolate!
You simply mash together 1 large, very ripe banana with 2 tablespoons of your favorite peanut butter. In another bowl heat 1 cup of chocolate chips (dark or otherwise) and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the microwave for 1 minute – checking every 15 seconds so it does not burn.
Oil a mini-muffin pan. Fill each opening 1/3 full of melted chocolate. Add a dollop of pb-banana mixture. Top with chocolate to coat. Stick in the freezer for at least 1 hour to set. Once frozen, use a knife to loosen up the sides and they should pop right out. Store in the freezer.
I didn’t use any exact science for these. It is fun to let loose in the kitchen (not measure exactly) once in a while and come up with imperfect, but beautifully delicious treats! Before I started food blogging I would hardly ever measure correctly. Growing up cooking and baking with my mom we would rarely bother to measure perfectly or sometimes even at all 🙂 Now that I am creating and sharing recipes, I have to be careful to really measure and record what I am using so others can follow along! I don’t mind, and it is helpful for me to have so many recipes logged. But filling up these cups in freestyle was fun! Looking at the cups above they are different – one has more chocolate, one more pb banana filling – but I want to eat them both! So go easy on yourself and have some fun with these!
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2 tbs natural peanut butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or other chocolate of your choosing)
- 1tbs coconut oil
- Oil a mini-muffin pan
- In a small bowl mix together the banana and peanut butter
- In another bowl combine the chocolate chips and the coconut oil
- Microwave for 1 minute until melted, checking every 15 seconds so it does not burn
- Stir chocolate until smooth
- Fill each muffin hole 1/3 full with chocolate
- Add a dollop of peanut butter banana mixture on top of chocolate layer
- Cover each with more chocolate until you cannot see any peanut butter banana
- Put in freezer for at least 1 hour until frozen
- Pop chocolates out of muffin tins to eat
- Store in freezer