I cannot believe it is December and Christmas is right around the corner! Walter and I got our first big christmas tree this past weekend – in past years we’ve just had a baby tree, but this year we went for the big guy! I love putting up a real tree, the smell of pine needles sends you soaring into the christmas spirit!
I bought us stockings last year, post-christmas on super sale, so after waiting nearly a year, I was more than ready to pull them out and hang them up!
With the holidays and the end of the year approaching quickly I realized I still have not completed all of my 2016 Cooking Goals! With this Flourless Chocolate Cake I’m only checking my 3rd goal out of 5 off my list! I better get to work!
Flourless Chocolate Cake is a chocolate lover’s dream, it’s rich, dense and totally delicious. It’s a perfect cake for the holidays, especially with the appropriate toppings like candy cane ice cream and whipped cream 🙂
The better the chocolate you use the better your cake will be. I used a mixture of unsweetened and semi-sweet chocolate. Melt the chocolate with butter over a double boiler to keep it from burning so it melts together smoothly.
Whisk in sugar, eggs and cocoa powder. Pour into a greased 9-inch cake pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Cool and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter until smooth
- Remove from heat, whisk sugar into chocolate mixture
- Add eggs one at a time
- Mix in cocoa powder until combined
- Pour mixture into a greased 9-inch cake pan
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until set
- Let cool
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, before serving