This One Pot Cheddar Mac and Cheese is the easiest, cheesiest homemade mac & cheese. From cooking the pasta to making the cheese sauce it’s all done in 1 pot in 25 minutes or less.
You know when you just have one of those days where you just need a bowl of mac and cheese? This one pot cheddar mac and cheese is the answer to your craving! No more boxed mac and cheese, this recipe is SO fast, easy and delicious! It’s not one of my healthier recipes, but it is possibly, dare I say, the coziest and did I mention simple? It’s SO simple!
Start off by cooking the pasta according to package instructions – this is the longest step in the process and usually takes about 15 minutes to bring the water to a boil and then cook the pasta. I recommend using a medium sized shell, In my opinion, they are large enough to pool just the right amount of cheese sauce in their shells to make the perfect ratio of pasta to cheese
With the pasta cooked and set aside, next comes the 10-minute cheese sauce! Using the same pot, you will create a roux (don’t run away, it’s really easy, I promise) with butter and flour by melting the butter over medium-low heat and then whisking in the flour slowly. Next you slowly whisk in the whole milk (it is important to use whole milk – you need the fat to latch to the roux) to smooth it out. Finally, you will melt in all of the extra sharp cheddar and voila, you have your cheese sauce!
Add the pasta back to the pot, stir to coat all the pasta in the cheese sauce and that’s it! In 25 minutes or less you have a perfect bowl of mac and cheese! Serve with a glass of red wine to make it an extra comfy dish. You will definitely be taking “wine & cheese” to the next level with this one!
This mac and cheese also makes for a great side dish. I like to serve it with the honey pork from these tacos and a green salad!Print
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shell pasta
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp white, all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 10oz extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions, set aside in a large bowl
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat
- Add crushed garlic, mix
- Whisking, add flour 1 tbsp at a time, butter and flour will thicken into a roux
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly
- Add salt and pepper, mix
- Switch to a wooden spoon, add cheese 2-3oz at a time
- Keep mixing gently until all cheese is melted and cheese sauce is smooth
- Pour cheese sauce over the pasta, mix
- Serve immediately for best results
Pin It For Later:
Did you hear? Chocolate Covered Cheetah is becoming Sprinkles & Sea Salt! Not to worry, it’s still me churning out delicious recipes helping YOU get out of your comfort zone in the kitchen! Look for this change coming soon ????